Marketing and Communications Manager (part time 20-24 hrs per week)
Reports to: Executive Director
Mercy by the Sea Retreat and Conference Center (MBTS) seeks a motivated, creative, energetic and collaborative marketing, outreach, and communications professional to become its new Marketing and Communication Manager. This position will begin as a part-time role with the potential of growing into a full-time position.
MBTS is a Retreat and Conference Center on Long Island Sound and has been in existence since 1972 when the Sisters of Mercy recognized the need for a sacred space dedicated to spiritual development and growth. In this welcoming atmosphere of simplicity and beauty, we offer a portal into a deeper reality and opportunities to explore a new way of being. We welcome individuals and groups of diverse faiths and backgrounds. No exceptions.
MBTS seeks to become more well-known locally, regionally and nationally by creating and implementing thoughtful ongoing outreach and marketing activities. Using both traditional marketing channels and social media, MBTS intends to increase the number of guests and to make its programs and spiritual opportunities known to a wide and diverse audience. The Marketing and Communication Manager will be responsible for strategic marketing and promotion, and will utilize existing communication vehicles (email, web, etc.) as well as develop an effective presence on new platforms (e.g. Twitter, livestreaming, virtual events, webinars, online programming and other social channels; and in new formats such as audio and video).
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Ensure that MBTS promotes its image and values in a strategic, coordinated and consistent manner.
- Raise awareness and communicate the mission of Mercy by the Sea and its breadth of offerings across Hosting, Program and Development.
- Create a Strategic plan for the promotion of programs, hosting opportunities, amenities, retreats and events.
- Develop written and digital collateral and ensure consistency of messaging across a continuum of communications platforms and departments.
- Cultivate and develop positive relationships with the community and with local, regional and national journalists.
- Manage the website, weekly Constant Contact e-news and press releases, identifying media opportunities and preparing Mercy staff for media interviews, etc.
- Community Outreach and Engagement:
- Identify key constituents in the community with whom MBTS would like to engage.
- Prioritize these constituents and develop/refine MBTS values proposition and what potential partnerships look like.
- Team Player:
- Work closely with entire MBTS staff to ensure thoughtfulness, consistency and quality across all engagements and communications. This includes but is not limited to: Programming, Hosting, Guest Services and Development.
- Work with Guest Services to develop and implement a hosting strategy with the goal of increasing new business.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
- Three years of experience in Community Outreach, Marketing, Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, or related field.
- Team player.
- Excellence in written and oral communication.
- Extensive computer knowledge.
- Established base of media contacts and experience with media relations outreach strategies.
- Work style that is professional, collaborative, creative, self- directed, strategic, flexible and open.
- Ability to work remotely as needed.
- Mission commitment.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: Eileen Dooling, RSM, Executive Director