Directed & Themed Retreats
Mercy by the Sea through the Catherine McAuley Institute of Spiritual Formation offers a variety of retreats throughout the year. Please find the retreats and their descriptions below.
While primarily silent, these retreats offer guided prayer, meditations related to the retreat theme, input from the directors, and an opportunity to share with other retreatants. Spiritual direction is not routinely offered. Examples of past themes include Art Journaling, Cosmic Christ Retreat and Step II (Recovery), among others. For more information or to register, contact Rosemary Jones at (203) 245-0401 ext. 114 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Directed retreats offer an experience grounded in solitude, silence, prayer and daily meetings with a spiritual director. Directed retreats call for receptivity to the movements of the spirit and are adapted to the needs of each individual.
Registration for the Directed Retreats and Summer Sabbath weeks has begun. The retreat schedule is posted below; please note those that are completely filled. To register, contact Rosemary Jones, by phone at (203) 245-0401 ext 114.
Listing of Directed Retreats
Here is the full list of 2017 directed retreats. Please note that some slots with directors are already filled; in these cases, you may request to be placed on a waiting list.
- Triduum: Holy Thursday, April 13 to Easter Sunday, April 16 $350 single occupancy; $275, double occupancy
- Sunday, April 30 to Sunday, May 7 with Lil Fraher, RSM, and Andrea Minelli $610
- Sunday, June 18 to Sunday, June 25 with Nan Bouche; Sue LaVoie; Cathy Murtha, DW; Mary Fahy, RSM; and Judy Fortune, RSM $610
- Sunday, June 25 to Sunday, July 2 with Carol Villaggio; Joan Bernard, OP FILLED; Mary Fahy, RSM FILLED; Roberta Cote; and Mary Costello, RSM $610
- Sunday, July 30 to Sunday, August, 6 with Carmela Garafola, RSM; Fr. Terrence Moran ; Maureen Christensen, RSM ; Mary Costello, RSM, Directed and Focusing; Mary Trainer, RSM $610 ALL RETREAT DIRECTORS ARE FILLED FOR THIS RETREAT
- Sunday, August 6 to Sunday, August 13 with Julia Norton, RSM; Roberta Cote; Fr. Bob Uzzilio; and Lisa Irish $610 ALL RETREAT DIRECTORS ARE FILLED FOR THIS RETREAT
- Sunday, August 13 to Saturday, August 19 (six-day retreat) with Jan Webb; Ann Duhaime, RSM; Eleanor Perfetto, ASCJ; and Patty Cook, RSM $590 ALL RETREAT DIRECTORS ARE FILLED FOR THIS RETREAT
- Saturday, August 26 to Saturday, September 2 with Gail DeMaria, CSJP; Fr. Tom Sieval; Kathleen McAlpin, RSM; Marie Danaher, OP; and Judy Fortune, RSM, $610 ALL RETREAT DIRECTORS ARE FILLED FOR THIS RETREAT
- Saturday, September 2 to Saturday, September 9 with Connie Messitt, SCJ; Eleanor Guerin, RSM; Jo Ann Bourquard; and JoAnn Walsh, RSM $610
- Sunday, October 29 to Sunday November 5 with Margaret Galiardi, OP; Janet Weber, RSCJ; and Cynthia Giardina $610 ALL RETREAT DIRECTORS ARE FILLED FOR THIS RETREAT
- Thursday, November 9 to Monday, November 13 with Patty Cook, RSM $400
- Sunday, December 3 to Sunday, December 10 with Judy Fortune, RSM; Claire Rusowicz; and Gail O'Donnell, RSCJ $610
Check-in time is between 4 and 5 p.m. A light supper is served at 5:30 p.m. Retreats begin with an opening gathering at 7 p.m. Check-out time is 10 a.m. on the last day of the retreat. Mass is not be available on-site except for those retreats where there is a priest director. However, a schedule of area masses and church services is available.
Come to the water to renew your connection with life's animating Spirit and recover your potential for joy and peace. Sabbath time can be as unplanned and open as you wish. Time to gather for reflection and prayer will be offered during the week, and spiritual direction is offered by request, although not on a daily basis.
Summer Sabbath Week I: Monday, July 17 to Sunday, July 23 with Joan Linley and Claire Rusowicz, $625
Summer Sabbath Week II: Sunday July 23 to Friday July 28 with Joan Linley and Claire Rusowicz, $575
There is also the option to combine the weeks for $1,150.
Individual Directed Retreats
If you cannot participate in one of our scheduled directed retreats, you are invited to come at your convenience and stay for up to a week; spiritual direction is included. To discuss how we can serve your needs with regard to this retreat, contact Claire Rusowicz at (203) 245-0401 ext. 115 or via email: email@example.com
My Retreat in Everyday Life: 19th Annotation of the Spiritual Exercises
with Patty Cook, RSM
Do you long to make a deeper connection between your faith in God and your ordinary, daily life in the "real world"? Here is a spiritual opportunity: a contemporary adaptation of the classic Ignatian 30-day retreat, known as the 19th Annotation of the Spiritual Exercises, for those who are not able to be away from family, work and other responsibilities. The central purpose of this retreat is to grow in spiritual freedom and find intimacy with God in the midst of action.
Individuals engage in a guided prayer experience over 37 weeks through a commitment to :
- Daily personal prayer and reflection
- Meetings with a retreat director
- regular faith sharing with a small group of fellow retreatants
- one overnight gathering
The next group, which will meet on alternating Thursdays, from 1-3 p.m., begins on September 7, 2017, ending in May 2018. The cost is $700.
Participation is limited. The application process includes a brief written application and conversation with the retreat director. For more information, contact Claire Rusowicz at (203) 245-0401 ext. 115 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patricia Cook, RSM, Ph.D, has served as an educator (secondary education as well as college and graduate school), a missionary in Guatemala, an administrator for the formation of lay ministers and deacons, and more recently as a prison chaplain. She is an experienced spiritual director and retreat director as well as a supervisor of spiritual direction formation. One of her favorite interests is being the spiritual director and tour host of pilgrimages to the Holy Land.